Monday, November 21, 2011

Sometimes I need to seize the Opportunities


Sometimes I need someone to get on my case and sometimes I need grace.
Sometimes I need forgiveness and mercy because I feel like shit already, I just need to be encouraged that I can do this, encouraged that I am not worthless and that I have something to offer, encouraged that I won't always be defeated.
Sometimes I need hope!
Sometimes I need to borrow your hope.
Sometimes I have lots of extra to give you.
I was talking about camp a few weeks back to some of my friends over a dakgalbi dinner and it started with the " I am sure you have some crazy stories... It sounds hard... I couldn't do it" kind of reactions. So I fell into that opening of the conversation with going into the crazy times and talking about the problems; hitting, bitting, pinching, restraining, yelling... because that is the entertaining stuff and what they were asking for.
This reminds me of the time I asked a coworker's father for all the dirt on his son, while he joined us on a hiking trip. My friend's father blew me away with his response, making me realize the error in my question without even trying. He started sharing all the good things about him, about his son! Sharing how proud he was of his son! I went at the conversation all wrong, thinking we could get some interesting stories we could all laugh at and make my friend feel a little worse, but in fun. But the father seized the opportunity to encourage and build up with the conversation.
This is also where I and some coworkers went wrong with conversations that almost led to others getting fired. We wanted to talk about all the funny dirt stories that made people look bad even though we love these friends very much. Another coworker caught on to this and knew we were missing something and not heading in the right direction in the convo.
The trick is seeing it and redirecting the conversations. A few weeks ago I realized I had headed in the wrong direction and painted a picture of camp that wasn't true. Sure the stories were true, but the heart of what camp is all about was false. So I corrected it and started talking about the relationships and care and love and success in kids lives. It was only for a few minutes though, and then we had to split. I missed the opportunity to share about the detailed messy stories of how God was working in these kids lives, in mine, and in the rest at camp.
I love laughing having fun random conversations, but I also love having meaningful encouraging inspiring conversations.
Sometimes I need to share those stories.
Sometimes I need to hear those stories.

No comments: