Saturday, June 28, 2008

Diversity is Beautiful and Educational

Two weeks of Summer camps have come and gone and have been really great. I have been amazed by the diversity of the camp staff team and of the campers here at Wildhorse, not because I haven't seen these diverse of groups before, but rather I haven't seen camps or that many churches that there was no minority or majority no matter who you are. There were many cultures, skin colors, social classes, many disabled kids, and many deaf kids. It is a Beautiful thing!!!
Our speaker James from Indianapolis, IN showed many videos over the week and the first night he made a great video of all different pictures of Jesus that he has seen flashing on the screen and Marilyn Manson singing "Personal Jesus" it was powerful and he pointed out that we don't know what Jesus looked like but every culture around the world has made the image of Christ look like them. Jesus goes beyond all of our differences. Amen!
I also have heard the stories now of many of the kids coming through here and seen some of it personally now. I have seen the kids that I get to work with have a great time together even though we are all very different. I have heard of kids carrying there fellow campers up the mountain who were not physically able to climb because they only have one leg. I have heard of kids coming to camp from different rival gangs wearing there colors and fighting at the beginning of the week and sitting them down and bringing them together so that at the end of the week they are playing ball together. I have heard of cabin roommates that from the same school but didn't know each other at the beginning of the week and really didn't want to know each other, because they were different, and by the end of week where really close and great great friends. Beautiful!!!
I have seen this happen in true story movies lately (Freedom Writers and The Cross and the Switchblade) and so much in my personal real life. What brings us together, Jesus! We have more in common than we have differences. And our differences are very educational. We spend a lot of time at camp hearing peoples stories and sharing our stories and I love it. Diversity is Beautiful!!!

No comments: